Preparing concrete for painting or staining
Raw Concrete up to 5 Years Old
1. Wash with Muriatic Acid 2/3 water, 1/3 acid.
(Caution: Add acid to water not water to acid. Wear safety clothing and rubber gloves.)
2. Puddle out on surface and spread with broom. Allow to sit for 5 to 15 minutes. A foaming action will occur.
3. Scrub with stiff bristle brush.
4. Rinse well with hose.
5. Note: do not do this project in bright hot sunshine.
6. Apply concrete stain or clear solvent based concrete sealer (penetrating type).
1: Wash with Bio-Wash Simple Wash available at most building supply stores.
2. Follow steps 2 thru 6 as above.
Previously painted or stained concrete
1. Sand surface using large pad sander available at most rental outlets or building supply stores (coarse grit).
2. Wash with T.S.P General Household Cleaner and rinse well.
3. Follow steps 2 thru 6 as above.
4. Apply concrete stain or epoxy concrete paint.
5. Where car tires are resting, place rubber matting.